Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Of Budu and Sambal Belachan

On one of my trips to KL, my cousin brought me to this by the road stall to eat Thai food. But the most memorable part of the food was the sambal belachan and the most memorable part of the evening was when I asked where I could find the budu, the owner of the stall hopped onto his motorbike and went to buy 2 bottles of budu and refused to accept any payment from me. He said it was "buah tangan".

Such kindness is now rare. I think it reflects the beauty and warmth of Malay culture.

Well, I have the recipe of the sambal belachan, which I now make in my little apartment in Geneva:

2 to 3 red chillies
2 green chillies
3 shallots
2 pieces of garlic
half a tomato or 3 of the small ones
salt
sugar
budu or fish sauce
grilled belachan (in Geneva I had to cover the pan while I grilled to prevent the small from coming out)
Blend them all.... enjoy!

No comments: