Monday, June 2, 2008

Bobby Chinn






Last night, I discovered, Bobby Chinn, the restaurant and met the man himself.

First the restaurant - it was all red, with roses all over - rose petals on the tables and even the toilet bowls, and fresh roses being hung on a string from the ceiling. Slightly tacky.

We were received by an English speaking hostess who overdid the welcome greetings a bit.

So the first point of attraction was when I opened the menu. Apart from the food listed, it was the personality and the sense of humour in the menu which told me... this is it, I love the restaurant. It was personal, slightly overpowering... but different, a whole lot of fun and very very FUNNY. I was sold when I found, amidst the rather wicked humour, an assurance that the meats, apart from pork, are halal!

The second winning point was the food - the starter of filet mignon stuffed fresh spring rolls, courtesy of the chef, was so heavenly. I could not wait for my order of the lamb shank. I must say it was different, slightly too much sauce... but beautifully tender, juicy with slightly charred parts. Then came dessert - chocolate pot au creme - just pure smooth milk chocolate.... lovely lovely lovely. We were also given chocolate tacos... The slight disappointment was the coffee, we asked for Vietnamese, but definitely got Italian.

The third winning point was Bobby Chinn himself - you can guess his personality from the menu. Appearance wise, he is rather tiny. For those who have met/seen Lamine Guendil, or Mike Wiluan, there is a lot of resemblance but Bobby seems lighter (both body and spirit). He was high moving freely, slightly encentric, from table to table. I can sense a lot of ego, but the brooding sharpness, eccentricity, lots of charm and wicked sense of humor combination made him simply adorable :
"Us - We love the menu
Bobby - so is the food crap?
Us - No, it was perfect except for the coffee. So good that I am coming again on Saturday.
Bobby - great, what do you want in the menu... I will specially take a request
Us - wow... really I dunno what to say... it won't be necessary"

He walked us to our cab, even teased that he was driving us back....

It was an interesting experience... definitely satisfying and put smiles on our faces and gave us lots to talk about...

No comments: